Ratcliffe will face no FA action over controversial immigration comments
Published on Saturday, 21 February 2026 at 4:57 am

Sir Jim Ratcliffe, co-owner of Manchester United, has avoided disciplinary measures from the Football Association after the governing body reviewed remarks he made during a Sky News interview in which he claimed the United Kingdom had been “colonised by immigrants.”
The FA confirmed on Friday that, while it has reminded the 71-year-old INEOS founder of his responsibilities when engaging with the media, no formal charge or sanction will follow. An FA spokesperson said the organisation had completed its assessment and elected to issue guidance rather than punitive action.
Ratcliffe’s comments, broadcast earlier in February, triggered immediate backlash. Speaking on the margins of the European Industry Summit in Antwerp, he told Sky News: “You can’t have an economy with nine million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in. I mean, the UK has been colonised. It’s costing too much money. The UK has been colonised by immigrants, really, hasn’t it? I mean, the population of the UK was 58m in 2020, now it’s 70m. That’s 12m people.”
According to the Office for National Statistics, the UK population was an estimated 67 million in mid-2020 and stood at 70 million by mid-2024, having been 58.9 million in 2000.
Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham were among political figures who condemned the phrasing, while Manchester United reiterated that the club “prides itself on being inclusive and welcoming” and highlighted its long-standing commitment to “equality, diversity and inclusion.”
Ratcliffe later released a statement expressing regret for any offence caused but defended the substance of his argument. “I am sorry that my choice of language has offended some people in the UK and Europe and caused concern,” he said, “but it is important to raise the issue of controlled and well-managed immigration that supports economic growth.”
Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out voiced disappointment at the FA’s decision, arguing that Ratcliffe’s status as a high-profile club representative carries inherent responsibilities. “When speaking in any capacity, he is still a representative and co-owner of Manchester United, which has a global following,” the charity said. “Unprompted, he brought the club into a TV interview where he was inaccurate with the facts and divisive with his language.”
United boss Michael Carrick, preparing the squad for Monday’s league fixture at Everton, declined to elaborate on the matter, saying: “Sir Jim made his statement and the club made a statement on the back of it. It is not my place to add to that.” Carrick emphasised the club’s global duty to promote “equality and diversity and respect for each other,” adding, “I am proud of what the club stands for and has done for so long.”
With the FA case now closed, attention turns to whether Ratcliffe will adjust his public rhetoric as INEOS continues to invest heavily in English football.
SEO Keywords:
FASir Jim RatcliffeManchester Unitedimmigration commentsSky News interviewno FA actionKick It Outequality diversity inclusionUK population statisticsOffice for National StatisticsMichael Carrick
Source: skysports

