← Back to Home

Racism claim overshadows Real Madrid win as PSG fight back

Published on Wednesday, 18 February 2026 at 8:12 pm

Racism claim overshadows Real Madrid win as PSG fight back
Lisbon, Portugal – Real Madrid left the Portuguese capital with a narrow 1-0 victory over Benfica in the first leg of their Champions League play-off, yet the result was quickly eclipsed by an allegation of racist abuse directed at Vinicius Junior.
The Brazilian forward broke the deadlock seven minutes after the restart, lashing a rising drive into the top corner before celebrating with a dance near the Estádio da Luz stands. Referee Francois Letexier showed Vinicius a yellow card for the routine, but the moment turned sour when Benfica substitute Gianluca Prestianni approached the forward. Vinicius immediately reported to Letexier that he had been called “mono,” Spanish for monkey, prompting the official to halt play for several minutes while the accusation was noted. The home crowd responded by booing Vinicius whenever he touched the ball thereafter.
Benfica finished the match with ten men of their own after coach José Mourinho was dismissed for vehemently protesting a late decision, meaning he will be absent from the touchline for next week’s return leg in Madrid. Despite 12 minutes of stoppage time, the hosts could not find an equaliser and now face an uphill task at the Bernabéu.
Speaking to Movistar after the final whistle, Real Madrid coach Álvaro Arbeloa said: “What happened is something that nobody likes; you have to ask the Benfica player what he said. Racism is something we have to eradicate from the world of football, and if the players don’t fix it then this is very complicated.”
PSG stage dramatic comeback in Monte Carlo
Elsewhere, Paris Saint-Germain overturned a two-goal deficit to defeat AS Monaco 3-2 at Stade Louis-II. Folarin Balogun struck twice inside 18 minutes to stun the visitors, and the task looked even tougher when Vitinha saw a penalty saved and Ousmane Dembélé limped off injured.
The introduction of 19-year-old winger Désiré Doué changed the complexion of the contest. Doue halved the deficit shortly after his introduction, provided the cross from which Achraf Hakimi levelled, and then curled home the winner midway through the second half. Monaco’s hopes were further dented when Aleksandr Golovin received a red card for a reckless challenge.
“He is an incredible player and a different player,” PSG coach Luis Enrique told Canal Plus of Doue. “I am very pleased for him because he deserved it.”
Galatasaray outgun Juventus in Istanbul thriller
In Turkey, Galatasaray stunned Juventus 5-2 in a frenetic encounter. Gabriel Sara opened the scoring before Teun Koopmeiners’ double gave the Italians a 2-1 half-time lead. Noa Lang’s second-half brace, a Davinson Sanchez header, and a late Sacha Boey strike completed the comeback after Juve defender Juan Cabal was sent off for two bookings.
Dortmund seize control against Atalanta
Borussia Dortmund also assumed command of their tie by defeating Atalanta 2-0 at Signal Iduna Park. Serhou Guirassy headed home his 16th goal of the campaign inside the opening quarter-hour, and Maximilian Beier added a second before the interval to leave the Bundesliga side well placed ahead of the second leg in Bergamo.

SEO Keywords:

cricketVinicius JuniorReal MadridBenficaracism allegationChampions League play-offJosé MourinhoPSGAS MonacoDésiré DouéGalatasarayJuventusBorussia DortmundAtalantaFrancois LetexierÁlvaro ArbeloaLuis Enrique
Source: yahoo

Recommended For You