← Back to Home

Neymar makes retirement admission as he targets Brazil World Cup squad

Published on Saturday, 21 February 2026 at 8:21 am

Neymar makes retirement admission as he targets Brazil World Cup squad
Santos forward Neymar has revealed he could walk away from football as early as December, even as he fights to secure a place in Brazil’s squad for this summer’s World Cup across the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Speaking to Brazilian channel Caze, the 34-year-old said he is now “living year to year” after a string of injury setbacks, most recently a medial meniscus problem that required arthroscopic surgery in December performed by national-team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar.
“I don’t know what will happen from now on, I don’t know about next year,” Neymar admitted. “It may be that when December comes, I’ll want to retire. I’m living year to year now. We will see what my heart decides.”
The former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain star, who returned to boyhood club Santos last year from Saudi giants Al-Hilal, has not appeared for Brazil since 2023. With 79 goals in 128 caps, he remains the Seleção’s all-time leading scorer and has featured in three previous World Cups.
Despite the uncertainty, Neymar stressed the importance of the months ahead. “This year is a very important year, not only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it’s a World Cup year, and for me too. I wanted to play this season totally 100 per cent.”
Last month the forward joined singer Thiaguinho on stage to issue a public plea to manager Carlo Ancelotti: “We are going to do everything possible, even the impossible, to bring this World Cup back to Brazil. In July, you can hold me accountable. Come on, Ancelotti, help us out, okay?”
Ancelotti has previously stated that any recall will hinge on Neymar proving his fitness. Brazil have been drawn in Group C alongside Scotland, Morocco and Haiti for the tournament that kicks off in June.
Neymar’s contract with Santos runs through the end of 2026, but the player insists his future will be dictated by emotion rather than paperwork. “It depends on what my heart says later in the year,” he reiterated.
For now, the countdown is on: regain peak condition, convince Ancelotti, and pursue a fourth World Cup appearance—potentially his last dance on football’s biggest stage.

SEO Keywords:

barcelonaNeymarBrazil World CupNeymar retirementSantosCarlo AncelottiNeymar injuryBrazil squad2026 World CupNeymar goalsSeleçãoGroup Cmedial meniscusarthroscopic surgery
Source: yahoo

Recommended For You