QB Rashada's suit vs. Napier, UF booster settled
Published on Wednesday, 18 February 2026 at 2:36 pm

Well-traveled quarterback Jaden Rashada has reached a settlement in his groundbreaking lawsuit against former Florida head coach Billy Napier and prominent Gators booster Hugh Hathcock, court filings and Rashada’s attorney confirmed Tuesday.
The suit, filed in 2024, alleged that Napier and Hathcock reneged on promises of a name, image and likeness package worth up to $13.85 million, a claim that cast a harsh spotlight on the early, loosely regulated days of college athlete compensation. Also named in the complaint were a former Florida football staffer and Hathcock’s auto dealership. The case was believed to be the first civil fraud action stemming from an NIL pledge since athletes gained the right to profit from their fame.
Rusty Hardin, who represented Rashada throughout the litigation, told ESPN that all parties have now signed off on a resolution. Hardin declined to disclose financial terms or other conditions, citing a confidentiality agreement.
“He’s a bright young man with great judgment. He thought it was time to move on,” Hardin said. “He made the point he wanted to make, and now he’s ready to go play football.”
Rashada’s path since the recruiting saga has been nomadic. After withdrawing his national letter of intent to Florida in 2023, the California native spent time at Arizona State, Georgia and Sacramento State. Last month he announced he will enroll at Mississippi State and compete for the Bulldogs beginning with the 2026 season.
The lawsuit centered on events that unfolded in late 2022, when Rashada was still a senior at Pittsburg (Calif.) High School. According to the complaint, Napier personally assured Rashada’s father of a $1 million signing bonus hours before the quarterback spurned a prior commitment to Miami and signed with Florida. Rashada alleged that the pledged money never materialized, forcing him to seek opportunities elsewhere.
At the time, NCAA rules barred boosters from negotiating NIL agreements before an athlete enrolled on campus, and universities were not yet permitted to compensate players directly. The gray market that emerged left prospects weighing informal, often verbal, offers that carried no legal weight once signatures were secured.
Napier, who guided Florida to a 3-4 start last fall, was dismissed in October and hired by James Madison in December. He had been scheduled to give a sworn deposition the same week the settlement was reached. Shortly after the initial complaint was filed, Napier told reporters he was “comfortable with my actions” during Rashada’s recruitment.
Attorneys for Napier and Hathcock did not return requests for comment Tuesday evening.
With the litigation now behind him, Rashada turns his focus fully to football, hoping a fresh start in Starkville will mark the end of a turbulent chapter that reshaped the conversation around NIL accountability.
SEO Keywords:
footballJaden RashadaBilly NapierHugh HathcockFlorida GatorsNIL settlementcollege football lawsuitMississippi State footballathlete compensationNCAA NIL rulesRusty Hardinrecruiting fraudJames Madison
Source: espn



