← Back to Home

Phallon Tullis-Joyce: Alleged Racism Toward Vinicius Jr. Is ‘Not OK’

Published on Thursday, 19 February 2026 at 3:36 pm

Phallon Tullis-Joyce: Alleged Racism Toward Vinicius Jr. Is ‘Not OK’
Manchester United and United States women’s national team goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce on Wednesday condemned the alleged racial abuse directed at Real Madrid winger Vinicius Jr. during Tuesday’s Champions League clash in Lisbon, branding the episode “shameful” and urging football’s power brokers to intensify efforts to shield players from discrimination.
The flash-point occurred in the 50th minute at Estádio da Luz after Vinicius Jr. broke the deadlock and celebrated in front of Benfica’s support. The Brazilian pointed toward the stands and toward Benfica substitute Gianluca Prestianni, who moments earlier had been seen covering his mouth while speaking in the Madrid star’s direction. Referee François Letexier immediately crossed his forearms to signal FIFA’s anti-racism protocol, triggering a 10-minute stoppage during which both captains were consulted. Play resumed amid boos and projectiles hurled from sections of the home support.
UEFA has since opened a formal investigation, appointing an ethics and disciplinary inspector. A final ruling is expected in the coming weeks, meaning Prestianni would remain eligible for next Wednesday’s return leg at the Bernabéu.
Speaking at United’s media day ahead of their own Champions League second-leg playoff against Atlético Madrid—United carry a 3-0 aggregate lead into the tie—Tullis-Joyce addressed the persistence of racist incidents in the global game.
“I think you’re also asking the daughter of a Black woman, so I have been adjacent to the experience of a Black woman in society, and it’s no surprise to me,” the 29-year-old said. “I think it’s very shameful that situations like that are continuing to happen.”
The goalkeeper, who recently joined sessions for United’s All Red, All Equal initiative, stressed that change must begin at club level before radiating outward.
“We can really look at what we can do locally, here at United, and then keep branching out through our social media, our content, and making sure that people know that it’s just simply not OK. End all. Period. Full stop.”
Asked whether player activism has lost potency, Tullis-Joyce acknowledged the frustration voiced by Vinicius Jr., who has previously been targeted in Spain, and called on leagues and institutions to reassess protective measures.
“This is something that clubs and the league itself need to reflect on,” she said. “If it’s continuing to happen, then we need to have some more reflection from clubs and leagues alike of what they can do to really minimize these actions and words that are being used.”
Real Madrid striker Kylian Mbappé, who appeared to overhear Prestianni’s remarks, told reporters the Argentinian “doesn’t deserve to play anymore in the Champions League,” adding, “We can’t accept that there’s a player who plays in the best football competition in Europe and who behaves like that.”
Tullis-Joyce will return to international duty after United’s upcoming fixtures against Atlético and Chelsea in the Women’s FA Cup on Feb. 22, linking up with the USWNT for the SheBelieves Cup that runs March 1-5 against Argentina, Canada and Colombia.
Keywords:

SEO Keywords:

Manchester UnitedPhallon Tullis-JoyceVinicius Jr racismManchester United goalkeeperChampions League racismUEFA investigationBenfica Real MadridFIFA racism protocolwomen’s football newsUSWNT SheBelieves CupAll Red All EqualGianluca Prestiannifootball anti-racism
Source: yahoo

Recommended For You